2021 Conference Submission Details
INFORMATION FOR 2021 CONFERENCE ATTENDEES
Invited presenters: Please submit an 800-1000 word extended abstract AND a ten (10) minute video presentation by 21 June 2021 for inclusion in the conference.
Extended abstract submission requirements:
- 800-1000 word extended abstracts, submitted in .doc, .odt, .txt, or .pdf formats.
- Word count includes all text, excluding title, author names, and reference list.
- To smooth the process of producing the conference program and book of abstracts, please follow the Author Guidelines on the Persona Studies journal website, including the referencing style: https://ojs.deakin.edu.au/index.php/ps/about/submissions#authorGuidelines.
- At the end of your abstract, please include a short (1-2 sentence) biographical statement, including institutional affiliation (if any), research field, and corresponding author details / preferred email contact.
Video presentation submission requirements:
- Presentations should be 10 minutes long, recorded with clear audio and visuals, preferably with the speakers on screen for at least part (if not all) of the presentation.
- Where possible, record using tools such as Zoom, Prezi video, or Microsoft Teams (or local equivalents) that allow screen-sharing during recording so that both you and your slides/visuals are visible.
- If possible, video files should not exceed 500 MB. If this is not possible for you, please contact us at email@example.com to discuss options.
- You are welcome to share your presentations publicly on your own accounts - we ask only that you wait until the conference is live (5 July) before you do so, and that you include details of the conference in your video description.
- Top tips:
- Most people speak at a rate of 100-150 words per minute in English, so plan your presentation accordingly
- Aim to do more than replicate what's in the abstract in your presentation - dig into the really interesting findings, methodologies, or theories instead!
- Keep visuals eyecatching and simple - don't overload your presentation with text-heavy slides throughout.
- Please consider copyright restrictions if planning to include music, video, or other creative works in your presentation
- We will contact you in the week after your submission is received to ask you to review the automatic closed captions generated by YouTube. Initial cleaning of the transcript will be completed by the conference team. Please check these carefully, particularly for spelling of names and places.
File submission process:
- Email your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org with the extended abstract file attached and a link to a video file for download included in the body of the email– Box, Drive, Dropbox, or other similar cloud storage options are fine, as is a link to Zoom, providing downloads are enabled. If these options are not viable for you, please contact us for alternatives.
- Please DO NOT attach the video file itself to the email.
- Follow this format for the subject line: [AUTHOR SURNAME(s)]: ‘[PRESENTATION TITLE]’ video and extended abstract. eg. 'BARBOUR: PERSONA AND DIFFERENCE video and extended abstract'
Engaging with the conference
Presentations will be curated into themed playlists hosted on YouTube. Links to these playlists, along with the extended abstracts, will be collated into a conference program. The playlists and program will be shared with registered participants of the conference on 5 July.
Invitations to participate and/or present in the four webinar panels will be made by 25 June. These webinars will be scheduled for live broadcast, and timing will be adapted to best suit those presenting. These live events will be recorded, and the recordings shared with the registered conference participants in the event they were unable to attend the livestream. The webinars may, with agreement of presenters, be made public after the conference closes.
Registration for the conference is now open: https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/online-international-persona-studies-conference-tickets-152793251729. The registration process provides separate tickets to each of the four days when webinars will run, as well as for the conference opening date of 5 July. If you are in a position to support the conference by paying the AU$50 registration fee, please only do so ONCE - select the free/unwaged option for all subsequent tickets.
For presenters, please ensure you register no later than 21 June, when your presentation and abstract are due. At least one named author must register to participate in the conference.
There are two registration options for presenters – please choose the option that best fits your current circumstances:
- Unwaged/contingent/student/underemployed presenter – please select this option to waive the registration fee and register for free
- Waged presenter – you will then be directed to pay the AU$50 registration fee
The same waged/unwaged registration options are available for those who wish to participate in the conference without presenting research. Online registration closes July 5. Contact the conference organisers at email@example.com for late registration options after this date.